Sipsey's one year checkup was Dec. 30, and it was not as happy as the previous ones. Her weight was 19 lbs 8 oz (25th %tile) and her length was 30 inches (75th %tile). Her weight and length aren't the problems though. The doctor heard a heart murmur. She said it is probably nothing and will hopefully go away on its own. Then they did a CBC (complete blood count) from a toe prick to test Sipsey's blood levels. At her 9 month checkup, Sipsey was a little anemic and the doc wanted to see if it had gotten better. It had gotten worse. Sipsey was very anemic this time, so they wanted to draw more blood to run more tests. I don't even know what they're testing for. I failed to ask any important questions. We were there for almost 3 hours and I was a little overwhelmed. They had to draw the blood from her arm! It was so sad! I had to hold her, and she was so pitiful. And this was after getting three shots and a toe prick. I'm anxious to hear the results! After finding out that her red blood count was low, the doctor did tell me that's probably where the heart murmur came from. Sipsey doesn't have as many red blood cells as she should, so her heart is having to pump extra hard to get the appropriate amount of blood through her body. Hopefully this is all nothing that an iron supplement can't fix. Besides all that, Sipsey is a happy one year old!
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
1 Year Stats
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Sissy had a heart murmur when we were little, and it wasn't anything serious. Your day does sound overwhelming. Poor Sipsey, that was alot of trauma! I am afraid Simms' may be anemic when we go back in Feb. due to not eating anything! She does eat yogurt with extra iron (YoBaby) so maybe try that! And NO, we do not have a playroom, although I think I have convinced Dru to let us fill in our garage to make one. (We don't park our cars in it). I need the space. Simms' room is getting tight!
Please ignore the fact that I put a comma in an incorrect place on my own daughter's name! How embarrassing!
OH my word!!! That child is beautiful and looking so grown-up! The doctor found a heart murmur on Jacob several months ago and we had to go through all the trauma of seeing a pediatric cardiologist and having tests run. He has a small heart murmur, but according to the doctor it is nothing to worry about, very common, and he will probably grow out of it. I'm sorry Sipsey had a bad time though. It's always hard for the mama too!!
I love all the pictures of Sipsey! Especially the Alabama Cheerleader! Roll Tide:)
The pictures just get cuter and cuter...she looks like a little Beatle with her hair brushed down- it is darling. I especially love the pictures with the hat! Take care and much love!
-Jillian
So sorry to hear that about Sipsey. I'm sure it's nothing but I know as a mother that inevitable worry kicks in full force. Keep us posted, ya'll are in our prayers! She super precious by the way and has changed so much.
Sipsey's Going to be a Heartbreaker! Those Eyes kill me everytime! We moved for my husbands job. Good, but hard to leave Alabama. Know anyone in Little Rock??? :)
Post a Comment