Sipsey took swimming lessons this year and she did great! She had been in a pool or lake maybe 5 times in her life, so I wasn't expecting much. It amazes me how many more things she has been able to experience in a small town versus the urban jungle. Nothing was convenient in Birmingham (where we lived, in my opinion). Plus, swimming lessons, dance, and preschool there cost a whole lot more than they do here!
Her teacher wanted her to swim with her Puddle Jumper on this summer to learn the basics. Next year, we'll conquer swimming unassisted. Sipsey learned to jump off the side while holding the teacher's hands, paddle like a 'doggy getting his bones,' kick, and make a monkey face to go under water! This is quite an improvement from clinging to me or Ben the entire time she had been in the water before. We practiced more at the city pool and she now likes for me to push her under until she can touch the bottom (5 ft of water), to throw her as far as I can, and to be as far away as possible while she jumps off the side and goes under, all with her Puddle Jumper on. I have a feeling she'll be swimming unassisted pretty quickly next year.






2 comments:
This is awesome! I called (and emailed) the Y about lessons for AJ and they never called me back. :( I prefer to think of all neighborhoods here as equally inconvenient to everything I need to go to. :)
Yay for Sips. We took swim lessons too. It is so fun to have swimmer.
Post a Comment