Ben's friend Mike works at fish hatchery in west Alabama and informed Ben one Thursday that he had caught a large amount of crawfish that needed cooking as soon as possible. Ben asks me the same Thursday if I would "think about" having a crawfish boil on Saturday, two whole days later. I politely declined but after more thought, I decided not to be Debbie Downer and host a last minute "Crawfish Berl." So we alerted the media and gathered as many people as possible to put away some crawdads. Unfortunately, only one cooler of three was consumed, but the remainder were cooked and frozen for future consumption (not by me though!). We really had a great time and I'm glad I gave in to some spontaneity. We enjoyed the food and the company well into Sunday morning!

Sipsey right after her nap learning about crawfish from Mike, who, by the way, she always pretends to speak to on the phone!

Three coolers of crawfish.

Some were quite ornery.

They reminded me of Sebastian the crab from The Little Mermaid who did not want to go into that pot of boiling water!

Sipsey helping wash out the pot.

Corn, potatoes, onions, lemons, celery, mushrooms, and of course, crawfish!

Dinner! We also had red beans and rice and boiled peanuts.

I can only imagine the conversation: "I swear the fish was THIS big!"

Meanwhile the kids played in the pool.

And they caught lightning bugs (and got EATEN ALIVE by mosquitoes despite the bug spray they were bathed in).

I don't know about other areas of Alabama, but we have tons of lightning bugs that come out every evening. I do not remember that many growing up in Dothan.

I think they were happy when the kids found something else to do!


10 comments:
You made me hungry! Yumm! Hope yall are doing great! Love that sweet dress Sipsey is in! I'm sure you made it!
What a fun day!!!
What fun! I think those somewhat impromptu gatherings are more fun. Normally I think I have to spend days getting ready, but really, nobody notices all that work you did! Is this your backyard? My mom used to have some of those chairs like you have sitting by the baby pool; we saw some in Pottery Barn or someplace like that for major $$$$. I told Mama she shouldn't have gotten rid of hers. Actually, she still has one, just got rid of the broken one. Too bad she doesn't have the set.
I NEVER remember seeing lightning bugs as a child!!! But they are everywhere here in the Sip! - Katie B
I NEVER remember seeing lightning bugs growing up! They are all over the Sip though and I think they are fun! - Katie b
Oh my gosh - that looks liek so much fun!!! So great!ju
Great pics! Only you can make crawdads look appetizing! Hope you guys are doing well; we have a Dagney blog now if you want to follow us!
so fun. I love those pictures of the crawfish... you are good. And the "fish was this big" picture cracked me up.
yum!!! did you make sipsey's dress? too cute!!
i haven't had crawfish yet this season & those made me hungry for them! sipsey's dress was adorable!
Post a Comment