Friday, November 21, 2008

Sippy Cup





I thought I would post about getting Sipsey to drink from a sippy cup (which I will call SC from this point forward because I am about to type it way too many times), since one of you asked and others might be having a hard time. I actually have to give credit to day care for getting Sipsey on an SC - not necessarily the teachers at day care, but the other children at day care who drink from one. Sipsey would never hold her own bottle. She still doesn't hold her own bottle (and now I know she can she just doesn't since there's a sorry sucker holding it for her!). I thought she would never like an SC. I tried it at home a few times and she got really mad, so straight back to the bottle we went. At day care one day, she would not drink from her bottle and kept pushing it away. So the teacher poured the formula in an empty SC that I had in her bag and put it in front of her and SHE DRANK IT! Just like that! So at home, our routine is to feed her at meal time and about halfway through, we'll put the SC in front of her and down it goes! If anyone is having a hard time, my only advice would be to (1) buy the Nuby brand SC with handles (This is what Sipsey likes. I had tried one with no handles and those didn't go over very well. My only complaint is that they aren't graduated so I can't measure out my water to make formula.) and (2) let the child try using one at Mother's Morning Out or at a playdate where other children are using one. I think the major reason Sipsey switched so well was watching the other kids do it.

Sipsey has formula 4 times a day. In the morning, we give her a bottle because it's faster (and sweeter and we get to cuddle) but I think that one will be knocked out soon so I can continue to get myself ready while she's drinking. At lunch and snack she has an SC at daycare and I think she's okay with this b/c all the other children are doing the same. At home, she eats dinner with us, and usually washes it all down with an SC. Of course there are nights when this doesn't work out so perfectly and she wants a bottle, so we give it to her. But we always try the SC first.

I hope this helps for those who need it and was not too boring for those who don't!


4 comments:

Lydia said...

I'm thinking you wrote this for me, right? Well, I'll pretend you did because I soo needed the details! I am going to try Jacob on this routine soon. We have started doing MMO again, so I will try that method and see if he picks up on it . His sippy cup preference is the one with a straw, so maybe I should just start trying putting the milk in that? I'll figure out something. Thanks again!!

Denise said...

We had the hardest time breaking Mary Selwyn of the bottle. She took juice out of a sippy cup just fine but when it came to her milk she wanted a bottle. I must have gone through 50 trying to find one similar to a bottle to try and trick her. The baba was the one thing she was attached to. No thumb and no paci and I felt terrible taking it away. One day she just took to it when she was ready I guess. Sounds like it was a little easier for you since monkey see, monkey do....I wish it had happened that way for MSN...ha ha. By the way I think you should call it a Sipsey Cup instead of sippy....

Margaret said...

I feel like you wrote this just for me! Oh my goodness, Simms STILL won't take the "Sipsey Cup." We will keep on trying though!! I am going to offer it now when Sissy gives Bennett his!

No Longer Newlyweds. said...

You are a trooper for entering ANYTHING at 5 months pregnant! Yes, with a chemistry/math degree, the pharmaceutical industry came calling and offered the $$$ I was looking for. It was a fun 4 years with Pfizer.
What exactly do you want to do with your MPH? My favorite movie was Outbreak and I wanted to tour the world researching and preventing possible outbreaks. I'm a nerd at heart. I'm glad to see you seem to be too!
Did you see the pictures of Mikey on my blog? Weren't you more his age?
So, what's the story behind your daughter's name? Very interesting and SO cute.