Sipsey Elizabeth made her debut at 4:52 pm on Tuesday, December 18. She weighed 7 lbs. 13 oz. and was 21 3/4 inches long! They discharged us from the hospital around 5:30 pm on Thursday (48 hours after her birth) and sent us home without an instruction booklet. We have already been to our first doctor's appointment on Friday. That was an adventure after our first night home with her. Without Mom's help, I don't think we could have made it. We have already learned many things about our new little one: she DOES NOT like to be out of someone's arms, she HATES pacifiers (she's not easily fooled), she HATES lying on her back and she HATES being swaddled! Well she hates being swaddled with her arms tied down. If you'll look back at her ultrasound pictures, her hands are by her face all the time. And if you look at the pictures above, she still loves her hands! These personality traits make it extremely difficult to put her to sleep. After many nights of letting Sipsey sleep on my chest in the bed (I don't even want to hear how dangerous that is...we were desperate) or BRIEFLY in her swing, Mom was bound and determined to get her to sleep in her crib, so today has been one big experiment. I don't mind getting up and feeding, consoling, changing diapers, burping, etc., but she simply would not sleep after I would do all these things. We think we have discovered the secret, but I won't be convinced until after tonight. We finally learned to swaddle her with her arms out and lay her on her side in her crib. We have some little positioner thingys that help do the trick. I pray that tonight Sipsey will be a different baby.
The good news is that we have a perfectly healthy baby who we love with all our hearts. Ben is a great dad and husband who waits on us hand and foot. Her first doctor's appointment went well and we go back next week for another checkup. Thanks to everyone who came to see us in the hospital and called to check on us and came to see us at the house. I have not returned any phone calls and I apologize, but I truly have had no sleep. Sipsey is extremely alert and strong and is not satisfied with sleeping the days and nights away!
The good news is that we have a perfectly healthy baby who we love with all our hearts. Ben is a great dad and husband who waits on us hand and foot. Her first doctor's appointment went well and we go back next week for another checkup. Thanks to everyone who came to see us in the hospital and called to check on us and came to see us at the house. I have not returned any phone calls and I apologize, but I truly have had no sleep. Sipsey is extremely alert and strong and is not satisfied with sleeping the days and nights away!


2 comments:
I did not know a baby could become
prettier overnight, but she did.
I still think that mother and child
are the most beautiful - ever.
And my only wish besides continued
good health, is that Sipsey gives you
all the joy,happiness and makes you so proud to be a parent as you have
done for me.
LOVE YOU BOTH,
POPS
She is adorable!!!! I can't wait to see her. It will get better. I remember all of Sloan's stories about those sleepless nights, but trust me it will get better soon.
Lauren
Post a Comment